(urth) Time, Not Cloning

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 6 04:28:30 PDT 2013

>Marc Aramini: Not to be all negative, and not that a title can't have
>two connotations, but there is a pretty explicit rumination on that
>shadow that comes from the hand of the secular authority administering
>justice, standing between the soon to be executed and the inexplicable
>divine justice, the increate or his symbol, the sun.

Not at all, Marc. Wolfe himself makes it clear that all things have
multiple levels of meanings. It was just striking how Jeff's post suggested
a "ploughman's" meaning which I had never thought of and has been to my
knoweldge generally overlooked. The ploughman's meaning being simultaneouly
the lowest and highest level of understanding. The title may have, as you
suggest, political and spiritual meaning, not to mention autobiographical.

But it doesn't get much more simple, direct and basic than David's equation:
Severian=Shadow=Khaibit=Clone. Which, given the literary proximity of 5HoC,
is an equation I'm currently finding it difficult to believe Wolfe never had
in mind.