(urth) Time, Not Cloning

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 1 11:25:37 PDT 2013

>Marc Aramini- In baldander's lair we have the big baby and, more disturbingly,
>an eviscerated girl who reminds Severian's of the pale skinned dark haired thin
>waisted river girl Pia.

I think she is darker skinned, making her resemblance to Severian less. I think she
and all those people are meant to represent the darker skinned natives we'd find
around Lake Titicaca.

>Despite Borski's aureate claims about paternity and relationships, which I never bought,
>I always fancied that Severian's sister would resemble him.

Yeah, I think Borsky got carried away with that. Is Dorcas' gold hair enough to establish
a family relationship with everyone who has gold hair? Actually, my guess is that Agia
and Jolenta ARE Severian's family. But that big baby sex toy in Baldanders' bed? Makes
no sense that I can see.

>The eviscerated woman who looks like her bothers me- but eidolons in Baldander's lair ...

Ah, "eidolons"?  Or "khaibits" (clones)? There's the rub. I think clones work better in the
context of the story. Baldanders is a very biological, non-spiritual kind of guy. Eidolons
have too much of a spiritual nature, as was mentioned in the earlier discussion in this
thread.