(urth) silk, the dancing toy, gods in the tunnels

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 09:06:07 PDT 2013

I almost feel as if Wolfe was very interested in metafiction in the early to late 80s and then gradually lost interest in it, reverting back to more traditional narrative in the 90s (without completely abandoning the old indeterminate perceptual questions like "was I a butterfly dreaming I was a man, or a man dreaming I was a butterfly?" which seem to form such a strong thematic element of collections like Strange Travellers (Bluesberry Jam and Ain't You Most Done?, for example)