(urth) silk, the dancing toy, gods in the tunnels

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 27 06:42:00 PDT 2013

"Things weaker than our words for them" - I have found this quote actually quite invaluable in approaching Wolfe.  Words have meanings - Wolfe often implies all of those meanings despite pure narrative logic. He is obsessed with the meanings of names as a look at his essays in Castle of Days would prove where he tells you what the names of other prominent authors mean historically. This interest in a word and its essence and all its meanings no doubt preoccupies a self-conscious writer, but he tends to rarely descend to the completely meta level, though at times he flirts with it in his short work and stuff like the introduction to Endangered Species emphasizing the reader. I think this is slightly disingenuous, but his speeches and his intros are surprisingly completely non-elitist.

Sent from my iPhone