(urth) silk, the dancing toy, gods in the tunnels

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Tue Aug 27 04:36:40 PDT 2013

From: Marc Aramini

> There is an odd kind of deciphering in long sun where Wolfe just says
> things
> outright (kypris is hyacinth is mamelta is chenille is mother) (because
> they
> are all literally possessed by kypris or are her physically, and she is
> his real
> mother) and I take the Gods in the tunnels as another one of those
> instances
> of just literal statement.  There are gods in the tunnels.

If I recall correctly, Silk is falling asleep when that occurs to me.  They
are all embodiments of Woman - that is how I see it.  I don't think it makes
any sense literally to make them the same person.  We know that on Urth
Mamelta was a computer technician of no special importance, for a start, and
while we could invent some relationship between her and the Urthly Kypris,
it seems like it would be strained.

As for the gods of the tunnels, I see it as a blasphemous joke that would be
plausible in real life.  'Dog' is 'god' written backward, after all.  The
dogs ARE the lords of the tunnels.  And they eat the human 'sacrifices' that
are placed there.

I think if you interpret everything as a coded message from the author to
the readers, there is no room for the characters to have life.  And Wolfe's
characters are important to him.  They aren't intended to be just ciphers.

- Gerry Quinn