(urth) HOME FIRES finished thoughts (spoilers)

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 20 18:30:06 PDT 2013

Some points I picked up I think mostly from this list:
>>1) I believe it is either known or believed by some that Charles Blue is an Os. i missed even a hint at this. What's the clue/giveaway?
>>2) Wolfean Q---given that we know SOME characters are brain scans in bodies other than ones born with, this makes me assume that some/many OTHERS are too. Do others agree, and who are top candidates?
>3) "so that he can keep running into "Charles Blue" and keep forgetting about it, and to show how nobody knows anything about anybody else - identification has been lost in that world."---I did not pick up on this at all when relating to Blue, but saw a reminder of it in the "lost women"/Chelle diner scene. Is that because, again, MOST people in this world end up in diff bodies they were born with/are way older because of relativistic space effect?

I'm not sure at all that this Charles Blue is Chelle's father.  The old one was a fat, easily controlled man.  This one is thin and in command.  Skip runs into him AT LEAST two times on the ship, and at one point the old man and Skip talk about the os and if they could just blow up one planet to win them all (thus the Sims weapon to destroy the world) or something to that effect.  This is on page 57 and the man he is talking to is definitely Blue.  He also runs into him much later in the looking for Jerry scene.

There is also the important discussion of how certain Asian spy groups don't even know that they are spies.  This is almost certainly why Skip forgets the name of the man wearing Asian pants/shoes who runs the pawn shop or whatever where Chelle's mom gets the blade and why he can't remember running into "Blue" over and over.