(urth) The Loganstone

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 12 06:01:25 PDT 2013

>David Stockhoff: In IGJ, chapter 14, Duko Rigoglio mentions the Loganstone,
>assumed to be the lander that carried him and others to the Whorl.

Thanks for calling this to our attention, David. I poked around a little and
found this about Loganstones, which I found to be relevant and of interest:

>Their weirdness has long given them supernatural associations and made them a
>focus for witchcraft. It was thought, for example, that the rocking stone near
>Nancledrea in Cornwall could only be moved at midnight when witches were abroad;
>people believed that if you touched it nine times at midnight, you turned into a
>witch. The one at Land’s End was said to have been put there by a giant who rocked
>himself to sleep on it. http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-log1.htm

Perhaps there is a loose association with the "Mother" of the witches on Urth, the
Cumaean, who is in contact with a being in the Fomalhaut (Fish's Mouth) star system.
On Blue we have the giant, fishy Mother who swallows sailors and is associated with
Abaia, Great Scylla and Echidna, who connects back to The Cumaean (Sybil).

Perhaps Wolfe didn't have the giants and witches in mind when he named the Loganstone,
but it seems like the possibility of a general connection exists.