(urth) Time, Not Cloning

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 1 09:52:26 PDT 2013

There are some interesting things in thinking of the generation of aquastors here.  I haven't read new sun in a long long time, but the idea of Katherine as an eidolon is kind of interesting.  The elevation ceremony does have the trappings of a low tech mummers charade, though - and that passage through potential neck resistance has always been troubling.

In baldander's lair we have the big baby and, more disturbingly, an eviscerated girl who reminds Severian's of the pale skinned dark haired thin waisted river girl Pia.  Despite Borski's aureate claims about paternity and relationships, which I never bought, I always fancied that Severian's sister would resemble him.  The watery story of fish and frog and the Moses like basket seemed to me a potential story about that separation, and in light of thinking of Katherine as eidolon or aquastor it is interesting that the body of that woman who makes sev think of Pia should be there in Baldander's castle.  That is the first question I ever asked Wolfe, way back in 2000 or thereabouts.  Is Pia the sister? He responded only with interesting question, and then said something about possibilities, the most postmodern response he ever gave me.  The eviscerated woman who looks like her bothers me- but eidolons in Baldander's lair ...