(urth) Thea's Identity

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 22 04:51:06 PDT 2013

The coin by which Vodalus first swayed Seveverian had the face of Appian on it and
it was later revealed to be false currency. Symbolism?

>Dan'l Danehy-Oakes: Recall what Severian says about this: We think we rule our symbols,
>but actually we are ruled by them.

I had always assumed the falseness of the coin symbolized the falseness of Vodalus and
his rebellion against the Autarcy. I was just wondering if it might also serve as a
symbol of the falseness of the rule of the Autarch, also.  If it is a reflection of
Wolfe's own political leanings, I can imagine him to be both suspicious of the true
motivations of real world political rebels while simultaneously recognizing there are
indeed shadowy powers behind the throne (or presidency).