(urth) Thecla's "Identity"

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 5 06:42:50 PDT 2013

What's funnier about it to me are almost 200 page books devoted to "Naming Beckett's Unnameable" and examinations of all these philosophical principles and articles about "meaning and significance" that mention hermeneutics and deconstruction and discourse and Derrida's pharmakos and they always stutter around the idea that our narrator is ultimately "unnameable" in actuality instead of merely in society, and fail to see the pun in his other identites, The Worm and Mahood (ma(n)hood, as I like to read i - he doesn't hear too well, since sounds vibrate through the body he is attached tot).  Our object simply romanticizes his origin because he has no understanding of his actual function.

In my mind it isn't particularly hard to see either - isn't it these guys jobs to read books and interpret them?  How can't they see that metaphor, and that it is society's morals that make it unnameable instead of some existentially unsolvable puzzle?

This is why to me the great mass of literary criticism obscures rather than illuminates.   If you are bored read some of those articles on the work for a good laugh.