(urth) Thea's Identity

Thomas Bitterman tom at bitterman.net
Mon Apr 22 06:33:25 PDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Jeff Wilson <jwilson at clueland.com> wrote:

> On Fri, April 19, 2013 10:21, DAVID STOCKHOFF wrote:
> >> From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>
>
> Meh. The servants seem to have no trouble maintaining loyalty to the new
> Autachs,

The new Autarch is a (semi-)clone of the old one, hence closely related to
the servants.

and it would make the Torturers, Witches, Librarians, and
> Stewards curious exceptions to the auto-cloning rule, as we know they get
> at least some of their number from outside the House and Citadel.

With the exception of Severian, do any of the above ever become Autarch?  I
was under the impression it was always household staff.

> It would
> bring into question why the autarch always has a great man soldiers but
> never enough, and it would fubar the basis for your identity intrigue on
> the raft.

Cloning and maintaining soldiers in readiness for battle is not cheap.  And
military leaders always complain about not having enough soldiers, no
matter how many they have.