(urth) Thea's Identity

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Apr 19 13:15:45 PDT 2013

On 4/19/2013 3:47 PM, Lee Berman wrote:
> Agreed. For me, the hint is saying that they have extra-terrestrial origins while the
> regular Commonwealth people have roots on Urth from its beginning. Did they arrive with
> Typhon? Or did they arrive later to fill in a royalty gap left by Typhon's death and
> the dispersion of his royal family.
>
> (where did Typhon's family go? Scylla is mentioned in BotNS and there is more than a
> passing resemblance of Great Scylla to Abaia in RttW. Was it Tartaros who rumbled
> beneath the man-apes' cave? The mythological Echidna was a half-woman, half-snake
> creature who lived in a cave. There is such a character in BotNS also.)

I was prepared to disagree that the exultants are from beyond Urth but
then recalled the term "autochthon." I always took that as a fancy word
for "native" but it could just as well mean "urthling," implying the
exultants had returned from the colonies (where people historically grow
taller thanks to better food: see Vikings, USA, Australia, Boers, etc.)
after a chiliad of tinkering.

OTOH, Jonas is able to tell us that they are relatively new, because
he's sailed time. But he doesn't mention the exultants coming back to Urth.