(urth) Thea's Identity

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Fri Apr 12 07:13:02 PDT 2013

From: David Stockhoff

> Yep, all that. I can't think exactly what those "hairless, crippled
> animals" could be, but they're up to something biological/reproductive.
> Presumably "true" human birth rates have been declining for millennia,
> leading to all sorts of desperate social/technological responses so
> ingrained that no one sees the need to mention them.

I don't think there is evidence for that.  Nessus is full of poor people,
and IIRC somebody says something about how they could march four abreast
over a bridge forever and never run out (the same proverb was current at the
time regarding the population of China).

And that leaves aside the need for managed population decline in the face of
the approaching ice.  Most likely there are too many people, rather than too
few.

No doubt the aristocracy / exultants use all manner of advanced technology
for various purposes, but a desperate attempt to stave off a population
crash due to some (once again, completely unmentioned) failure of normal
human reproduction doesn't seem any part of New Sun.

- Gerry Quinn