(urth) fifth head owlet- wolf‏

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 12 05:01:13 PDT 2013

>Marc Aramini- If one is not in favor of the maggots explanation,
>rue d'asticot might perhaps be another allusion to a "mythical street"
>in London named Grub Street. Which was renamed Milton Street and might
>then jive doubly with that hell imagery of 666 saltimbaque, but I still
>like the maggots.

Your mind works in amazing ways to see these connections. I am tempted to
think ascribing so much meaning to street names might be stretching credibility
of understanding Wolfe's intentions, then I remember Iubar St. in BotNS, Sun
Street in Long Sun and other examples and I have to conclude, as usual, that
Marc might be right.

So "asticot" means maggot, hm. Goes along with the general sense of decay we
get in 5HoC. Seems to thematically jibe with the weirdness of Apheta refering
to herself and her kind as the larvae of the Hierarchs.

Just made me think of Hethor's slug which is pretty grub/larva like. Any chance
Wolfe intended us to think it could metamorphosize into a very large, winged being?
Also, we have Mother Pyrexia who was said to resemble one of the creatures you'd
find in rotten wood, after she'd been sealed into her house for a while (though
that might rather be a reference to a salamander).