(urth) Thecla's "Identity"

Ross Arlen Tieken ross.a.tieken at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 09:19:21 PDT 2013

Wolfe is not a "traditional" Catholic because he does actually believe
that other gods exist. The vegetarianism is complicated though--it is
a mark of those who are particularly sensitive and sacrificial and is
not expected for most. Remember Wolfe is from Texas. Vegetarians
aren't "normal" here (in Texas), but those who have religious reasons
to do so receive high respect.
Also, I am a scholar of Neo-Paganism, and did some anthropological
work in England with them for about six weeks. Their attitudes are not
as simple as you recount them here; they are far more modern and
dependent on modern attitudes, and far more influenced by Golden Dawn
practices, which is sort of a hyper-modern ceremonial magic. On the
other hand, there are those who are trying to resuscitate Anglo-Saxon
or Germanic paganism, what they call Theodish beliefs or Heathenry.
Their magical practice comes from casting the Runes, known as Asatru.
But this group continues to attract members that are crypto-Nazi,
white power, and weird Blavatskian root-race occultists. Now most of
those who are a part of Heathenry are not those people, and they are
still tainted with the ahistorical myth of the Christian Oppression of
the Vikings, but in general they actually have a lot in common with
normal folk Catholicism. Wolfe feels attracted to these people I am
sure, as I did, but likely wished for something a little more
historically grounded. In that way, he (and I) are not "traditional"
Catholics, but that does not mean that we are outside orthodoxy.
Catholicism subscribes to what used to be pagan ideas and attitudes;
this is both acknowledged and embraced by the modern Church (having
experienced the rebirth of early Church history and patristics in the
1920's and 30's.