(urth) Thecla's "Identity"

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 11:33:54 PDT 2013

The enmity between Communism and Christianity stems from Marx's belief that
religion was used to keep the proletariat in line, to lure them away from
their just rights with the promise of (as the song says) "pie in the sky by
and by." Or, as long as I'm on songs, songs like Bob Marley's "Get Up Stand
Up" put it very well.

Mind you, I'm a Catholic liberal, so I have a bias in these things.

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Let us rephrase that, shall we?  How religion affected the masses.
>
> The enmity between communism and Christianity has always been a bit of a
> mystery to me, though i suppose it is the concept of heavenly remuneration
> that sticks in the craw of those seeking equal disbursement of resources;
> conversely,  I had supposed a fascist  would like the mechanisms of control
> over the populace widespread faith would give one to exploit right from the
> get go, unless that faith were simply too difficult to subvert to
> individualized aims.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 5, 2013, at 11:12 AM, Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Pound seems to have had a beef with religion as well, perhaps stemming
> from institutional hypocrisy and its affect on the masses.  I guess I like
> my old stereotyped ideas; I hear an Italian last name and at least assume
> some sympathy with the Catholic Church.

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes