(urth) Short Story 45: Feather Tigers

Sergei SOLOVIEV soloviev at irit.fr
Sun Sep 9 04:53:20 PDT 2012

I agree with Mo that the eyes should be human - but I asked myself,
whether Quoquo was right claiming that
the humanity was extinct - may be the most discrete part - "people of
yellow leaves" - survived? Quoquo was
arrogantly wrong on many points. Wolfe could want to be ambiguous here,
as he often does.

Another point - I had a very strong feeling that Quoquo and Dondiil
remind somewhat Japanese, that
is, these alien rabbits have the culture that GW wanted to be
over-respectful to authority and hierarchical,
which is bad for science (this concerns also "body language"). I
considered the story
as fiercely humoristic about science based on authority.

"Feather tigers" - the title I believe plays also with a cliché of
Maoist propaganda, that spoke about "paper tigers" -
meaning all western powers, that, according to this propaganda, look
more dangerous that they are.

Best regards

Sergei Soloviev