(urth) Inhumi eyes and names

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 28 14:29:29 PDT 2012

>--- On Fri, 9/28/12, António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Vision:- I think this is one case where Wolfe just chose to go with a cool idea, not worrying very much whether it can be scientifically explained or not.- At first sight, the inhumi would be able to filter out the refraction of light, but I don't think that's feasible (unless they don't see light, of course).

>From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com>>
>Also, the light of the sun has been over and over linked to a salvific or spiritual transmogrification in the sequence - the absence of being able to see the sun is certainly a spiritual resonance.  Salvation didn't quite work.

Infrared vision for the inhumi makes perfect sense to me.  The sky is blue because short wavelengths are scattered more than long; we get lots of blue light from the sky, but little red.  Therefore infrared should be scattered even less.  A being that could see only in the infrared, and maybe not the near infrared, would be able to see the sun, but the sky would look black to him or her.  I can't think of why such a creature wouldn't be able to see the stars.

Aren't the stars visible during the day on Urth, because the sun is faint and reddish?  Perhaps gthis implies a symbolic, or for some, a coded link?

Jerry Friedman