(urth) Seawrack and the Mother

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Sep 23 15:27:38 PDT 2012

On 9/23/2012 1:22 PM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
>> Yes, I had meant to include a passing comment on that as well. If the universe is double-sexed (dioecious?)
> di + oikos = two dwellings = two kinds of individuals, male and female.
>
>> >like us, it must be either hermaphroditic or dyadic. Either way it must mate with itself to produce or create or even to become itself.
>> >
>> >If it is single-sexed (monoecious),
> one dwelling = only one kind of individual, with the implication that it possesses both sexes (I.e. hermaphrodite; in botany, one usually reserves this latter term to mean that the flowers themselves have both sexes, instated of the individual having male and female flowers).

I did kind of screw that up, didn't I.

It doesn't quite fit. I meant (1) two sexes (a) separate or (b)
combined, or (2) no sexes, but also pointing out that a single male or
female seeder/birther/creator isn't really any of those. That is, you
can't have only one sex. Incest is a bit like two-housed
hermaphroditism, from this perspective.

>> >then I guess we're just supposed to forget about the missing sex. (In the same way, we're not supposed to notice that Eve's offspring either mated with others or mated with one another.)
> I don't know that we are; the Good Book doesn't dwell on the issue, but biblical literature has, since forever. There are even names for Cain's sisterwives. Incest, like a lot of other things, only became unlawful at Sinai, and only some of the things that were unlawful at Sinai were mentioned to always having been unlawful. Lot's daughters' aren't condemned at all.
>
> It turns out that sex is a big part of religious thought. It's hardly surprising that it's prominent in Wolfe's writings.

Absolutely. It's huge, as the Donald would say.