(urth) Confusing passage

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 17 20:06:15 PDT 2012

>From On Blue's Waters, Ch. 5 section 6:

>Even Hoof and Horn [sic], who must just be entering young manhood now
>will someday be as old as Marrow and Patera Remora.....in fifty years,
>Horn and Hide [sic] may well be dead....These words, which I pen with
>so little thought- or hope- or expectation- may possibly endure long
>beyond that, endure for two centuries or even three...

I am confused by this. I could guess the first [sic] is a way of
forshadowing that Horn's self-identity will come into question later.
But what about the second [sic]? Is Hide's identity also to come into
question? Or does the second [sic] also refer to Horn in the clause?

FWIW, I found the final sentence interesting in comparison with Gene
Wolfe's answer in the Lawrence Person interview which was done shortly
after Short Sun was written:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~lperson1/wolfe.html