(urth) The Executioner's Art

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Sun Oct 14 22:42:59 PDT 2012

Found at I, Cringely, a technology blog:
http://www.cringely.com/2012/10/09/off-with-their-heads-why-financial-regulation-stopped-working/

"Thirty years ago, when I was working for a time in Saudi Arabia, I saw
a public execution...."

"He was dragged up the steps to a platform and there fell to his knees.
Another man whom I quickly came to understand was the executioner
climbed to the platform with the prisoner and poked him in the side with
a long curved sword. The prisoner involuntarily jerked up just as the
sword slashed down and just like that there was a head rolling off the
platform, the body falling dead like a sack of flour."

I'm having a bit of trouble evnvisioning how the sword can poke and then
stroke again so quickly, but it seems that this eyewitness account bears
out the subtle manipulation of the condemned and unhesitating resolve of
the headman as depicted in the BOTNS.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at clueland.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >