(urth) Seawrack and the Mother

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 1 11:59:59 PDT 2012

>Antonio Pedro Marques: only a few groups have evolved to
>have their newborn be miniatures of the adults (and yes, among those groups
>is the one comprising reptiles/birds/mammals).
>It may be relevant that latin _larva_ means something like wraith/shade/(scary mask).

Thank you. Yes, I think all that is relevant. I do think Wolfe uses many of the intelligent
creatures in his stories to point out not only our anthropocentric view of the universe but
our mammalian- and vertebrate-centric views also.

The Latin definition of larva you give reminds me very much of the Arabic translation of "khaibit",
being a ghostly shadow or shade. Given the title of the first Sun Series book I find this to be
significant evidence that Severian was, indeed, always intended to be some sort of clone.

> Are Galatea and Pygmalion incestuous?
>Dan'l Danehy-Oakes- No, because Pygmalion did not give life to Galatea

Heh, though I think Adam and Eve are incestuous. Given that she was cloned from cells of Adam's
rib, they are identical (almost) twins. I have a half-baked theological theory that Original Sin
involved the sin of incestuous lust, hence the fig leaves being the first response to "knowledge".

Thus you have the judeo-christian reversal on the surrounding religions, in which the gods were
incestuous but the people were not. I think religion is a better motivator if sin and the blame for
it goes to the people, rather than the gods.