(urth) Inhumi secret

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 28 07:33:00 PST 2012

Lee Berman wrote:

>>nate jarvis: If everyone on Earth stops having sex or doing needle drugs for what?
>>a year? then we all go and get AIDS tests, then AIDS is cured.
>>THAT sounds more likely than everyone being nice to one another to
>>wipe out vampire-like monsters they'd rather lynch.
>>Horn seems to to feel if he revealed the secret it would spell trouble
>>for the inhumi as well.
>
> My own thinking is in line with nates, but I have to admit that Jerry's thinking
> is congruent with Wolfe's quote in the Gevers interview. Perhaps we are just
> supposed to accept it at face value. (urg..but I just...can't...do....that)

We should bear in mind, though, that the Rajan himself is very
doubtful about whether the secret is really useful. "If you will, it
is a great and terrible weapon. That is how the inhumi themselves see
it, and I will not call them wrong. But it is a weapon too heavy for
our hands."

This does of course raise the question why the inhumi themselves feel
threatened by it.  Did they ever meet a people who were able to use
it? Certainly not the Neighbours, who were also overwhelmed by them.