(urth) Hard SF

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 29 08:35:49 PST 2012

>Andrew Mason: I think 'hard SF' is an essentially ambiguous term. It can mean what
>Antonio says - I think Asimov defined it that way, for instance - or
>it can mean SF which is scientifically accurate. It is widely used in
>the latter sense as well.

Thanks, Andrew. I think the recognition of both meanings is helpful.

I think Urth and its dying red sun qualify as hard SF in Antonio's/Asimov's sense
of being driven by a scientific premise but doesn't qualify as being scientifically
accurate. Would a sun that drastically diminished really still be able to support tropical
jungles on Urth? I'd question the liklihood of any major plant growth under those conditions.

I suppose you could make some sort of elaborate argument for how it could happen but I think
Wolfe's red sun was more of a literary choice than a scienfific one.