(urth) inhumi secret

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 15:30:03 PST 2012

Very good.  We need to see more application of his essay on Tolkien to his
own works.  It's easy to get so lost in his intricacies and tensions that
we lose sight that the works do, in some fashion, 'argue' for certain moral
and political beliefs and practices.  I actually think Short Sun is one of
the more 'obvious' examples, perhaps often missed because it is also one of
the densest and most elliptical.  (I would add that his parent-child
dynamic is rich and poignant - not 'sermonic', in the negative sense - so
whatever your politics you can *feel *some of the good familial pathos and
be freshly 'sensitized' if nothing else.)

-DOJP

Daniel Otto Jack Petersen