(urth) Inhumi's secret and numbers on Blue

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 27 05:44:27 PST 2012

>nate jarvis: If the inhumi were to "fly" through space, I think that would require
>a special morphological configuration distinct from vine or snake or
>"person".....I assume the cell membrane obstacle is based on lack of atmospheric
>pressure rather than the limitations of of cryoprotectants such as
>glycerol, but either might present an insurmountable obstacle.

>Did the inhumi use Neighbors' technology to board the Whorl prior to
>Long Sun? Or hijack a Crew reconnaissance landing on Green?

Yes, I think these are exactly the questions Gene Wolfe expects us to ask. But I differ
from some others in finding that he provides unequivocally likely answers.

The first question boils down to: "Do the Inhumi really overcome impossible biological
challenges to fly through space or do they lie about it?"

>From what we know of the the Inhumi and eliminating the impossible, the "lie" becomes the
obvious answer. Yet, we are still tempted to believe the lie, despite a dearth of evidence
for the flight except the words of the Inhumi. (to be fair, I find one bit of evidence: the
inhumi ability to stay alive for years buried underground; but this does not address the
cellular fluid pressure nor escape velocity questions).

Wolfe also gives us the answer to the second question, the one you post above regarding
the Inhumi using technology or surreptitiously hitching a ride. Inhumi are explicitly
described as poor at using technology but brilliant at hitching rides.

We don't know how Quetzal got onto The Whorl but we are shown in exquisite detail how
Krait wrangles a ride onto Horn's boat and then onto the lander. Not only does Wolfe show
Krait using manipulation, lies, flattery, forced oaths, impersonation, exploitation of
family etc., but he makes it seem easy and natural for Krait to use these stratagems to tie
Horn into knots. Plus he has Krait admit he thinks of humans as cattle. Unintelligent,
easily herded food. (Horn, Sinew, Hoof, Hide etc. are probably not coincidental names
here).