(urth) Short Sun Notes: Mucor

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 26 15:05:24 PST 2012

Marc Aramini wrote:

> Also, in regards to the below, one of the girls is equated with hyacinth in the dream.

Very true. That's in a later dream of the Rajan's, I think, but the
two are clearly connected. I find it hard to see how Mora can _be_
Hyacinth - when she turns into Hyacinth, Fava turns into a doll with
Chenilles' knife through her, i.e., I take it, Mucor (who was
possessing Orpine when Chenille stabbed her) - and in both cases it
doesn't seem to make sense to see them as the same person.  But the
people who appear in this dream - Mora, Fava, Scylla and (implicitly)
Mucor - are the same people who appear in Hide's dream, and are
genuinely present with the travellers; so that does seem to be
evidence that Hyacinth is there as well - perhaps Mucor is still
drawing her spirit.

>Together they certainly reach back to talk to hy, with much the same mechanism that inhuma and our narrator dream travel.  The question is, ghost of hy or hy temporarily pulled forward from a point when she was alive?

Any special reason to think it's the latter? I think ghosts can
certainly exist in this world - that would seem to follow from the
combination of out-of-body travel, such as Mucor does, and a genuine
afterlife, as revealed by Silk's vision on the Aureate Path. But if
Mucor is indeed reaching back in time to a point when Hyacinth was
alive, then she might have done the same with Pike.