(urth) What symbols mean for Wolfe

Bill Burgess whburth at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 13:28:28 PST 2012

The significance of symbols is nothing more then the human commitments they
represent.
Symbols shape us because our commitments shape us.
Just as a symbol represents knowledge which is not completed even after  a
lifetime of learning,   so our commitments represent the fact that there is
more to us then what we know --  and as our lives unfold according to our
commitments, so does our knowledge.

Furthermore,  just as the commonwealth reconstitutes itself every morning
in the shrill tones of it's own clarions,  we reconstitute ourselves every
morning in our commitments.    My wedding ring is only as significant as my
commitment, and my commitment must reconstitute itself every morning (or
there were times, when I was a younger and better looking man).   Even if a
commitment is broken,  one often has second chances.

See how often Severian breaks what one would assume would be the most
dominant commitment in his life; the guild.   It seems that few situations
could be constructed to have a more determining factor on the commitments
an individual makes in life then that of the guild on its apprentices,  and
yet he breaks his oath repeatedly and vows not to do so again.

Of course,  broken commitments can have as much influence on life as kept
commitments,  and so a symbol retains it's significance either way,  but it
is a different significance.

Free will is to determinism as up is to down or east is to west,  we are
determined by what we choose and one could not exist without the other.