(urth) Claw = Fang?

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Nov 25 19:24:30 PST 2012

On 11/24/2012 7:33 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> On 11/23/2012 10:18 PM, the badger wrote:
>> This is a minor point but I noticed towards the beginning of Shadow,
>> during the Feast of Holy Katherine, at the climax of the ceremony the
>> torturer's wheel appears to be covered with serpents which turn into
>> roses (it's all an effect created by colored paper, as Severian notes).
>
> Good show locating this textev, Badger!

You have to wonder how far to take this.

If a rose is one of Severian's symbols, and a serpent is not, then what
does that mean? Is the thorn of the field at least an honest adversary,
encountered while toiling, and the rose the best of all the thorns? Was
Typhon a serpent?

Is this opposition played out again by the Neighbors and the inhumi?