(urth) What symbols mean for Wolfe

Bill Burgess whburth at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 15:07:13 PST 2012

This is interesting.  Being new to the list, I haven't read those
discussions.

I'd find it a little surprising that anyone would think Severian was not
freely making the decisions which lead him on his path.  For example, the
compassionate decisions which lead to his exile, or decisions every step of
the way that could have made his story completely different.   He could
have sold the claw immediately for a profit for example.

Nor is there anything in the story that would lead us to believe that his
choices were all optimal in what forces outside him had chosen him for.

It seems Severian's identity consists in the choices he makes.   His being
chosen also consists in the choices he makes in the sense that his being
chosen was conditioned by those choices rather then the other way around.