(urth) Claw = Fang?

Bill Burgess whburth at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 23:04:42 PST 2012

We have to keep Wolfe's penchant for irony in mind as well.    Of course it
is too easy and pat, he tells us  with a wink and a nod,  because  he's
flat out giving us this one.    When he created the claw as part of the
narrative  he was thinking precisely of the eagle of Jove.

Of course when someone uses irony as much as Wolfe does,  it's always
debatable whether or not that is what he is doing.    When I re-read him,
 I always find more irony.    For example a few days ago I was reading
parts of Shadow  again and came to  Severian's  mention of how that  long
ago  women were members of the torturers guild as well but Ymar the Almost
Just noticed how cruel they were and how often they exceeded the proscribed
punishments  and  decreed that they could be members no more.   Immediately
I understood what I hadn't before,  that this was irony, and in fact we are
to understand not only that the opposite was true,  i.e. that women were
not cruel enough and were too lenient,  but that this traditional lie is
told so as to serve  multiple functions, one of which is to help keep the
brothers unattached to women.