(urth) Hard SF

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 30 10:03:55 PST 2012

>Gerry Quinn: Actually, we learn the correct explanation from Dr. Talos's play, in the
>second book.

Being toward the end of the second book of the originally intended four, this puts the
black hole explanation roughly at the mid-point. A first-time reader might conclude this
is the "correct" explanation or might lump this theatrical explanation along with the
other "sky gods are angry at us!" explanations.

Still, a black hole remains a scientific explanation. Scientific explanations, such as
evolution and Big Bang, rely on the default assumption that our universe is the product
of purposeless, natural forces, not intelligent design.

It isn't until the end of BotNS that we get a strong sense that this black hole might
be the product of intelligent design. Thus, the black hole explanation is
not "correct" in the sense that it is not complete. Purpose and intention are missing.

I think this is Wolfe's admonition to us. Perhaps we feel secure in our purposeless, scientific
explanations of the universe. But the possibility (perhaps certainty to him, as a religious man)
remains that there is an intelligent purpose to the design of the universe, if only we were
sufficiently advanced enough to perceive it.