(urth) Hard SF

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 28 07:51:47 PST 2012

>David Stockhoff: We're not talking about hard SF here.

Just for the sake of discussion, I'll disagree. Perhaps Wolfe isn't diamond-hard
but I'd give him ruby- or sapphire- on the MOhs scale. I think he makes a
sincere attempt in most of his work, as the quote below illustrates.

Where fantasy writers are content to give us shape changers without explanation,
Wolfe provides us with a sponge cellular analogy for Tzadkiel and flexible bones
and muscles, make-up and hypnotic abilities for Inhumi.

If the Inhumi really fly through space I'd want more than the skimpy evidence we
are provided (and less evidence for their lying nature).