(urth) Inhumi's secret and numbers on blue

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 28 07:23:40 PST 2012

Entonio wrote:

> I find the insistence on the unfeasibility of inhumi travel misguided, except when it aims to point out that they may be lying (that's what they and their hosts do, after all). We keep discovering creatures here on earth living lives formerly considered impossible, and I mean impossible, not unlikely. To hold on to what we know to dismiss what we don't is what flat-earthers did. Still, I'm inclined to think the inhumi  can't cross the void the way we're told they do.
>
> They don't seem to have anything like a cell wall either, so no hypothetical  plant-like abilities. Otoh, theres their shapeshifting thing (which I find no one protesting!), so all bets are off.

I think the strongest evidence that the official story of the inhumi's
travel is false is that Horn, in trying to explain it, says that light
objects fall less quickly, as is shown by the example of feathers,
(and so inhumi won't burn up on entering the atmosphere at speed, as
landers do). That's not just something that breaks the laws of
physics, as things in what is partly a fantasy work may; it's a
misunderstanding of how the laws of physics work, even in normal
circumstances, and what is more it is a notorious schoolboy error,
which we are proud of having got beyond, as told in (perhaps
apocryphal) stories about Galileo. So I think by saying this he is
sending an implicit message to the (real) audience, 'This explanation
does not work'.

On the other hand Jahlee does seem to confirm the story and offer
evidence, when she says:

"If you lack endurance…" She shrugged. "Only your frozen corpse gets
to Blue. It crosses the sky there, a little scratch of fire. No doubt
you've seen them. I have." (RTTW 3). (And the Rajan nods, as if he had
indeed seen this.)

So in short I don't know either.