(urth) Inhumi's secret and numbers on Blue

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Nov 28 07:08:33 PST 2012

You're absolutely correct: We're not talking about hard SF here. Some basic reasons to give the inhunu space flight theory a break are (1) they are aliens whose physiology we have only the smallest clues about (2) we do indeed keep expanding our understanding of the limits of earthly life (although to be fair bacteria don't quite count) (3) as you suggest, we know they have the powers of glamour and inhumation, so why not  Cthulhu-like "flight" between "the stars"? (Tzadkiel seems to do it.) I've argued for the first two; the last bothers me because I'm not really sure I accept the shapechanging powers.

Still, winged flight between planets requires ether to swim in. Wolfe does not propose an ether. He makes allusions to Lovecraft but does not resurrect the whole Lovecraftian pseudoscientific context for winged flight. So even just arguing from literary suspension of disbelief is problematic.