(urth) Claw = Fang?

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 05:57:48 PST 2012

David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net> wrote:

> Interesting in this context that a venomous fang may be used to produce
> its own antidote (by injection into horses).

I'm also reminded that Jesus said he would be lifted up on the cross just
as Moses lifted up the bronze *serpent* in the desert, so that all who
looked toward it would be healed of their fiery snake bite.  So, as it
turns out, Jesus became a seraph on the cross (so to speak), taking the
enemy's own form in order to redeem all things (including that serpentine
form itself - the prophet Isaiah says a little child will be able to reach
into the cobra's hole in the new creation and not be harmed - i.e. snakes
persist even in the resurrected renewed creation of the Eschaton).

Very Wolfean.  (That is, Wolfe's work is deeply imbued with the Bible's
sense of soteriological irony and paradox.)

The Claw, then, is perhaps a thorn, which can perhaps resonate with a
serpent's fang (I forget just why this was proposed), all of which imagery
may (biblically) symbolise initially the fall and subsequently salvation.

-DOJP

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>wrote:

> Interesting in this context that a venomous fang may be used to produce
> its own antidote (by injection into horses).
>
> The origin of the Rod of Asclepius was discussed here some time ago, and
> it has nothing to do with snakes. But still ...
>
> On 11/26/2012 5:12 PM, Daniel Petersen wrote:
>
>> E.g. 'claw' is a thing of tearing and death in a fallen world but
>> becomes, in the Conciliator, a thing of healing.

Daniel Otto Jack Petersen