(urth) What symbols mean for Wolfe

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 12:58:17 PST 2012

Well, fellas, I can't get into it now, but there are PhD theologians out
there who see it differently - it's not as cut and dried as you gents are
making it sound.  Omnipotence and Providence might interact with finite
human (libertarian) freedom in very rich ways that are not easy to pin down
in an 'if this, then that' or 1,2,3 format.

E.g. since 1) God's all powerful and 2) our choices would limit his power,
therefore, 3) we have no real (libertarian) choices - that syllogism can be
challenged by, say, better defining premise 1 or rejecting premise 2 as it
stands, or even challenging that the conclusion really follows.

But I really should probably stop talking about this issue until I better
familiarise myself with relevant passages in the Cycle on freedom and
determinism - there's some pretty potent stuff in there as I recall.

-DOJP

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>wrote:

> Or to put it differently: Both God and Man are absolutely free to act in
> accordance with their nature. However, that nature constrains their
> choices...
>
> Einstein once pondered, "I wonder if God had any choice in making the
> universe."
>

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>wrote:
>

>> >Dan'l Danehy-Oakes: There's a passage somewhere where Silk wonders
>> whether "free will" is just
>> >the privilege of consenting to what is going to happen anyway.
>>
>> This is in alignment with my own perspective of things. Truly free and
>> independent choice of action
>> is necessarily a limitation on an all-powerful God's power.
>>
>> Conversely, the more aware a person becomes of God's Plan the less
>> freedom of action he/she has.
>>
>> Moreover, a perfect God has no choices at all. There are no forks in the
>> road for God because every
>> choice has a "best" solution and thus God's path is pre-determined,
>> single-track and perfect.
>>
>> Thus free-will..I won't call it an illusion. But it is something which
>> can exist only from a human
>> perspective, not a divine perspective.
>>

> --
> Dan'l Danehy-Oakes