(urth) Short Story 3 title correction: The Grave Secret

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue May 1 15:14:38 PDT 2012

A Cthulhu Mythos story by Clark Ashton Smith, THE RETURN OF THE
SORCERER, may have been the origin of this one. Working as a translator
for a John Carnby, the narrator reads from the original Arabic Necronomicon:

'It is verily known by few, but is nevertheless no attestable fact, that
the will of a dead sorcerer hath power upon his own body and can raise
it up from the tomb and perform therewith whatever action was
unfulfilled in life. And such resurrections are invariably for the doing
of malevolent deeds and for the detriment of other's. Most readily can
the corpse be animated if all its members have remained intact; and yet
there are cases in which the excelling will of the wizard hath reared up
from death the sundered pieces of a body hewn in many fragments, and
hath caused them to serve his end, either separately or in a temporary
reunion. But in every instance, after the action hath been completed,
the body lapseth into its former state.'

This is of course exactly what happens to the protagonist of The Grave
Secret.