(urth) Short Story 4: The Dead Man

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Mar 29 18:30:09 PDT 2012

I can only add to this that the depth of research needed for this little
OMG-I'm-the-ghost ghost story is remarkable. It's not /entirely
/convincing, because of the little Orientalist "footnotes," but the
sheer legwork to get us into the peasant's mind---banter of women,
jungle species succession, the croc's chimney, if true (I can't confirm
it)---is commendable.

Incidentally, the croc is known as the "mugger" crocodile and does lie
in wait for prey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mugger_crocodile).
However, the manner in which it actually killed the peasant sounds more
like the "death roll" described for the saltwater croc
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltwater_crocodile). One would need to
delve deeper than Wikipedia to  sort it out further, but the conflation
works, if conflation it is.