(urth) Fairies and Wolfe

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Thu Mar 29 09:18:23 PDT 2012

On 3/29/2012 1:19 AM, Lee Berman wrote:
> Anyway, I still get a sense that humans occupy one sort of middle ground. A robot or
>
> computer's every action is guided by written rules (superego?). A fairy does whatever
>
> it wants, its actions merely constrained or circumscribed by a few rules (id?). Humans
>
> (ego?) seem to be a balance and/or compromise between the two.

I think fairies and the opportunity to join them in their frolic can
represent the allure of casting off society's strictures, but the
complications, like the conflict between the Seelie and Unseelie courts,
coming back home a hundred years out of date or just never coming back
at all, these can represent the inescapable consequences of breaking
with your society and even becoming an outlaw; again, a morality tale.
  You can exchange the security as you have in your place among decent
folk for the freedom to be preyed up on by the lawless, who are
regardless bound by their base nature.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at clueland.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >