(urth) Trial summer project short story: Easter Sunday

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 24 08:35:43 PDT 2012

> From: Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com>
> I thought I would try an apocryphal Wolfe from 1951 to begin the project and see
> what sections I should include in the opening.
>
> Easter Sunday is from the first published year of Wolfe's work, and it is
> fairly straightforward, so I think this would be a great trial.
>

> Here is a link with the entire story.  The best part of this is the
> Reverend's COMPLETE LACK OF RECOGNITION of the devil and the Devil's
> limp.

I agree.  This sort of irony would show up again in Wolfe's work.

The fantasy and the non-recognition feel Chestertonian to me--the supernatural in the midst of life--though I don't know Chesterton well, so I won't be surprised if I'm wrong.

> http://www.revolutionsf.com/fiction/eastersunday/01.html

Thanks for finding links to these stories.

> INTERESTING DETAILS: Dobson's inner thoughts are key to the true state of
> his faith.  "He momentarily forgot Mrs. Albright, who acted so superior and
> left a dime in the collection plate, the worries of the coming Sunday School
> picnic" ... "He was a religious man with no hint of fear in his love
> of God."

Though the story demonstrates that he should fear, since the Devil is real.  (Or that he doesn't need to, since the Devil is apparently powerless to do more than complain.)

> Dobson is so obsessed by the petty concerns of ire over a woman who believes
> herself to be superior but does not truly give and the stresses of preparing for
> Easter that it is only in the park that he can forget that
> "momentarily".

I think it's more that he's human than that he's obsessed.  Doesn't everyone think about job-related stresses and annoyances?

> The devil is described as a noble and superior being
> full of dignity.  He describes God as someone who plans on his son following
> him, but who runs a bizarre system that will forgive any atrocity except doubt.

Was Wolfe Christian yet?  This is dangerous territory for a Christian, as people might start thinking, "Yes, God does act like a dictator."

> It is unclear whether Dobson is a Protestant or Catholic Reverend, but he is
> never called "Father".

Also, "Reverend Dobson" and "The Reverend" not followed by a name are formally incorrect.  I'm a bit surprised that Wolfe used them anyway--though I didn't know those things when I was in college.

Jerry Friedman