(urth) Oannes

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 10:14:26 PDT 2012

Thomas Bitterman wrote:

> You typed "Christianity" when you probably meant "the Enlightenment".

Indeed, no. I regard the so-called Enlightenment as a fundamentally
Christian phenomenon -- admittedly in part a reaction against problems
in the implementation of Christianity, its values were nonetheless
fundamentally Christian.

> Catholicism is not anti-slavery, and in some cases can be safely said to be
> pro-slavery.  See, for example, The Catholic Encyclopedia

The slavery to which Catholicism was not opposed was the Roman style
of slavery, which was more like a form of indentured servitude. Roman
slaves could own property and buy their own freedom, quite different
from chattel slavery.

But this is the main reason I responded...

> I just wanted all the wars to be over so that we could spend the money on
> starships and Mars colonies.
>    - Grant Morrison

Supergods, right? A fine book...

--