(urth) Oannes

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 14:17:05 PDT 2012

Lee Berman wrote:

> Likewise, the way and the truth of
> Christianity is implicitly favored over other religions without the need for
> justification.

Correct. Wolfe is not writing apologetics; he is writing fantasy/sf in which
the truth is, repeatedly and by different devices, hidden, and its revelation
is salvific.

> The assumption of inherent superiority of Christianity is in Wolfe's work
> as much as in your answer. We might seem some passing mention of the
> ickiness and cruelty of other religions but it is unnecessary. In fact, you
> don't mention it, which is probably good as it might invite the argument
> over ickiness and cruelty which can be found in Judeo-Christianity.

I would go so far as to say that there is _less_ ickiness and cruelty in
Christianity than in most other religions (I might except Zen Buddhism)
-- incluiding Marxism, which is a religion screaming that it isn't.

The fact that we in the Western World do not take slavery, the murder
and rape of peasants by nobles, and so on as just "the way things are"
is due to the civilizing influence of Christianity. It may turn out in the end
that this influence has made us weak and that certain other religious
traditions, which do not have this weakness, may conquer in the end.
I don't know. But I like a Christianized world much better than any other.

Wolfe's worlds where the truth is hidden are generally brutal,
unpleasant places to live. I certainly wouldn't want to live in the
Commonwealth, or on the Whorl, or in Mythgarthr.

> I'm just saying I think it is important to openly acknowledge the Christian
> belief in One Truth Only, for a full understanding of Wolfe's work,
> especially if he is considered to be a Christian writer.

I agree.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes