(urth) summer project idea

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 15:23:23 PDT 2012

I was talking to some list members this weekend, and a very common repetitive theme was that Wolfe's short fiction has recieved short shrift on the list.  SO ... since I will have four weeks in May with very little to do except read or play video games or work out, I have come up with a project for myself from which I thought we could all benefit.

I will start with the earliest chronological stories of Gene and proceed with the most basic of summaries, my impressions if I have any that I think are worthwhile, and then perhaps a series of elements that I found confusing or would like to re-examine after I have read through the story twice with notes.  I will be on the look out for repetitive patterns of occurence or words that are used with mysterious misplaced connotation. this would be for the short stories.

Obviously I don't think I will have insight into every story, but perhaps my confusion could drudge up some more relevant commentary or other questions.  The problem is ... stuff like the Dickens archipelago story might be beyond my allusive skill, because while I do think I can see patterns, I am actually not the most classically rigorous amongst us - thank a biochemistry degree and a love of numbers.  I might skip entirely oft discussed ones like Seven American Nights and Suzanne Delage in favor of more obscure ones.  As of right now I believe I have every story, collected and uncollected, even the drabble project 100 word one, so if anybody has any suggestions as to something they would like in the format of my initial posts I would be amenable to incorporating it so that we could easily spring into a general discussion.