(urth) Oannes

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 14:05:53 PDT 2012

>> Lee:
>> I mean the God of the OT recognizes the existence of rival gods,
> Jerry Friedman wrote:
> In the early books, but not the later ones.

It never occurred to me that in the early books of Bible God is ever
depicted as actually feeling to be in competition with actual rivals (as
opposed to /effective/ competition for the affections of his
worshipers). While the early books seem to assume that His worshipers DO
believe in rival gods, the upshot of the storytelling seems to imply
that the true circumstances are otherwise.

In Genesis, he condemns Sodom and Gomorrah even though they do not
appear to be his worshipers. In Genesis one never seems to encounter a
god he must compete with or overcome. In Exodus, God plagues the
Egyptians and their gods are not even addressed. In Numbers, Balaam's
prophecy seems to assume one God who blesses and condemns. Also, in 1
Samuel, when the Philistines capture the Ark of the Covenant, they offer
it before Dagan. Then the next morning the find the idol fallen forward
on its face in front of the Ark.
Also in 1 Kings when the Aramites decide that the gods of the Israelites
are gods of the hills. So they decide to fight them in the plains where
they can be easily defeated.  So God thrashes them extra hard to make a
point.
And in Job, argued to be the earliest book written, there is really no
credible alternative to God offered even though Job's worship of God
does not protect him from harm.

J.