(urth) Lupiverse(es)

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Mar 16 10:10:13 PDT 2012

________________________________
 From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>
To: urth at urth.net
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 10:15 AM
Subject: (urth) Lupiverse(es)

So we have a story about a gnostic sect living on a gnostic planet in a gnostic
universe and we are forced to use gnostic methods to discern the full meaning
of the story. No lesson of simple Christian faith here.  Secret knowledge is
indeed required.

For some reason the example of Abaia comes to mind. In earlier readings I didn't
know mythological Abaia was an eel. So I didn't know he was meant to be associated
with Murene, the town on the shores of Lake Diuturna. Knowing that suggests that
the Baldanders character is supposed to be associated with both Juturna and Abaia.
And knowing the association with these two fishy characters might explain his
underwater breathing and the scars(?) on his neck. But who (pre-internet) knew
who/what Abaia was?

And there are so many other examples where really esoteric knowledge like that is
required to piece the puzzles together. Juripari, Fomalhaut, Ouroboros and
Matthew 17:27 all relate to fish mouths. How do these relate to each other (and
Abaia and Thelxiepeia and Mamelta and The Mother)? I guess there probably remains
mysteries to solve.

The fish motif is scattered so far and wide I don't know whether it has specific meaning or a general one. Certainly it has a link to early Christianity's "sign of the fish," which suggests furtiveness, but not necessarily secret or esoteric knowledge. On the other hand, Wolfe is quite familiar with the Nag Hammadi scrolls, where Jesus is clearly shown to withhold plain knowledge from "the people" and reserve it for the apostles.

Who knows what sign Agia scratched in the dirt?