(urth) Lupiverse(es)

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 08:58:44 PDT 2012

Ha, thanks everyone for engaging so profusely with my initial rant.  I
think all the angles have been well-covered.  I'll just add that any of you
who think Lewis and/or MacDonald have little literary merit and are
reducible to dishonesty and/or didacticism, well...

you can go suck an egg.  And I wish you speedy recovery from your literary
myopia.  :)

As to Lee's direct question:

Just as a thought experiment, what would the reverse bring for you? What if
there was, say, a deathbed confession by Wolfe that all his work was meant
subvert belief in Christ and promote worship of Satan or Dionysus. Would
you be
out?

This did happen to me in the past few years with one of my favourite
singers and lyricists, Nick Cave.  First I just loved his musical and
lyrical artistry - some of my all-time favourite stuff.  Then I noticed his
lyrics were consistently more and more 'God-conscious' and even
specifically 'Christ-conscious'.  Then he started professing to believe in
God and in Christ (if in an idiosyncratic sense) - then his lyrics became
even more blatantly 'Christian'.  Then he suddenly said in several
interviews on the back of his second novel coming out (The Death of Bunny
Munro) that he did not believe in the literal existence of a personal God -
contradicting quite clear statements in interviews in very recent years.
 Was I confused and even disappointed?  Yeah.  Have I abandoned enjoying,
following and analysing his work?  No way.  Do I think the discussion is
closed?  Uh-uh.

-DOJP