(urth) Lupiverse(es)

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Mar 15 18:26:27 PDT 2012

On 3/15/2012 7:46 PM, Craig Brewer wrote:
> Yep. I'm not Catholic, but it doesn't really matter. I don't like
> Wolfe because I *believe* him or have to share his worldview. I'm not
> looking to have myself confirmed in someone else's fiction.
>
> But those who read him with a real eye for a kind of esoteric
> knowledge or even for certain gnostic insights might. But those
> readings also often overlook the story in favor of the background.

I wonder if there isn't a very good reason for the apparent fact that
Urth inspires so much yearning for just that "esoteric knowledge" and
insight in its interpreters. Wolfe is normally quite terse and oblique,
but it's not The Ziggurat that keeps coming up again and again in this
forum. I think few of us here have not felt the pull of that yearning to
know another secret.

Severian's narrative shows any number of gnostic trappings. The culture
that is its setting, beginning with the mysteries of the guild where he
was raised, clearly values secrets over the sharing of knowledge. He
repeatedly hides and reveals, hides and reveals in his own narration.
Even when information is released, it is often in parable or garbled
form. Consistently, Wolfe wraps tiny seeds of truth in layers of
interpretation and interpolation. The writing of TUOTNS proves that as
much was suggested as was revealed by releasing further information few
of us could have guessed---though much of it presumably was created
after BOTNS was finished, to make a fully-fleshed story out of this
information.

Several purposes have been proposed for these multilevel tendencies, and
most seem valid. For example, Wolfe plainly has theories about knowledge
and history as well as of the divine and of literature itself, and
therefore he plays with myth as a mode of creation as well as of
communication, encryption, and enlightenment.

And he lays it on pretty thick. Regardless of intent, the form of the
story fits its apparent function of pointing to bigger things offstage.
But is that "yearning" more than just an accumulation of narrative
effects effects and coincidences? Mystery is at the very heart of the
story. Severian himself is a question, and he is a Seeker for Truth.
Little of what we know about his story is known; much of what we think
we know, we have guessed, and much of what we are told is suspect. The
very universe he dwells in becomes matter for speculation /within the
text/, and what is the big question that keeps coming up again and
again? Why, the very one raised just a few days ago: is there a Christ
in it? If so, who and where?

I used to think this suggestive silence was an attempt to hide or dress
up the kernel of Severian's story as Christ figure, as well as any
deeper layers. But the overall effect of it seems to go beyond that, to
awaken exactly this yearning for hidden knowledge---the suspicion that
there is more to the story than meets the eye, more to be revealed.

Now we know there WAS more information, were the first four books a
/conscious /exercise in esotericism? Is this how Wolfe came to overdo it
so much he had to write a fifth book to explain them---not just because
his puzzles were too obscure, but because the whole puzzle aspect was
planned top-down?

If so, then to go further: Was it a conscious attempt at encapsulating
the human desire for divine knowledge? Not just who-are-we,
where-do-we-come-from, where-are-we-going, but also
what-is-our-relation-to-the-infinite?