(urth) Lupiverse(es)

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 17:17:57 PDT 2012

On 3/15/2012 6:26 PM, Matthew Weber wrote:
> Lewis' theology, idiosyncratic?  I'd characterize it as broadly
> catholic and orthodox, though I can see where the hyper-Reformed might
> have problems with it.

Um...I think he recognized that his views were enough at variance with
the beliefs of his fellow-travellers** that it merited noting the fact.
And he certainly did note it in "The Great Divorce" during his
conversation with George MacDonald. Nowadays, one will easily find
practicing Catholics and Protestants who find Aslan's conversation with
the Tash-worshipper to be sensitive and insightful. I doubt that would
have been nearly so common in 1960. Educated Catholics like to think of
the Church as being "universalistic" regarding Soterology (and thus more
rational than Reformed and Fundamentalist sects) and it probably is in
their experience. But that certainly wasn't my experience growing up in
a small Ohio town that was probably 75% Catholic. Nor is that the
experience described by my friends who went to parochial school. The
message was clear and emphatic: "Outside The Church There Is No Salvation".

**"fellow-travelers" is defined here as Christians who were broadly
"evangelical" in that they considered both Faith and non-belief to be an
active, personal decision rather than a cultural ritual