(urth) Lupiverse(es)

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 12:16:17 PDT 2012

>> On 3/15/2012 7:56 AM, Lee Berman wrote:
>>> But, heresy aside, can such views be considered as leaning toward
>>> gnostic?
>>
>> On 3/15/2012 1:31 PM, James Wynn wrote:
>> I don't think so. Not in themselves.
>>
>> Wolfe's off-hand proposition that the gods were "real" in some way
>> but not deserving of worship would only be directly tied to
>> conventional gnosticism if he double-down and stated that the gods
>> were also the direct creators of the universe or the planet.
>
> On 3/15/2012 1:16 PM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> Interestingly, it has been proposed here that the Yesodis may have
> created their own whatever-it-is they live in or on. Does that count
> as world-creation?

Possibly. Like I said, the Sun Cycle is verrrry gnostic. That doesn't
make Wolfe gnostic. His belief that the gods are real does not make him
gnostic even if he believed them to be benevolent or neutral rather than
demonic. Not even all gnostics agreed on that front.

> Elsewhere in the cycle, planets ruled by single beings are mentioned.
> The "giant" of The Legend of XI Cygnus is one. But they are not
> described as creators, though they do resemble archons in a way.

The Wizard Knight world is superficially gnostic. However, the worlds do
not appear to have been created by any of the inhabitants. Humans do not
appear to have created Aelfrice for instance. Presumably, the whole
structure was created by the Most High God. That doesn't really map to
any gnosticism that I'm familiar with.

J.